INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ABOUT WHY
YOU WANT THIS JOB
There are five major categories of interview questions you should be aware of. The first category, the questions below, focus on why you want the job you are interviewing for. Some of them may be phrased differently during an actual job
Use a tape recorder and give your answers to these questions. Then play the recording back and
critique your responses. Do not try to memorize what you will say. Think through the strategy of your answers, focusing on the gist of the message you want to convey.
- What do you know about our company?
- What trends do you see in our industry?
- Why do you want to work for us?
- How much business would you bring to our company?
- What similarities do you see between this and your current/most recent position?
- What makes this position different from your current/most recent position?
- Why are you willing to take a job you are over-qualified for?
- Why are you willing to take a pay cut from your previous [or present] position?
- What would you change about this position?
- How long would you expect to stay with our company?
- How do you feel about working overtime or on weekends?
- Are you willing to relocate?
- How much are you willing to travel?
- What are your salary requirements?
- How soon could you begin work?
- Do you have any questions?
SOURCE: Adapted from Caryl and Ron Krannich, Ph.Ds, Job Interview Tips for People With Not-So-Hot Backgrounds (Impact Publications, Manassas Park, VA), p. 91. Copyright 2004. All rights reserved.