INTERVIEW QUESTIONS RELATED TO
YOUR PERSONALITY AND MOTIVATION
There are five major categories of interview questions you should be aware of. This category, the questions below, focuses on your personality and motivation. Some of them may be phrased differently during an actual job interview.
Use a tape
recorder and give your answers to these questions. Then play the recording back and critique your responses. Do
not try to memorize what you will say. Think through the strategy of your answers, focusing on the gist of the message you want to convey.
- Why should we hire you?
- Are you a self-starter?
- What is your greatest strength?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- What would you most like to improve about yourself?
- What are some of the reasons for your success?
- Describe your typical workday.
- Do you anticipate problems or do you react to them?
- How do you deal with stressful situations?
- Do you ever lose your temper?
- How well do you work under deadlines?
- What contributions did you make to your last company?
- What will you bring to this position that other candidates won't?
- How well do you get along with your superiors?
- How well do you get along with your co-workers?
- How do you manage your subordinates?
- How do you feel about working with superiors who may have more education than you?
- Do you prefer working alone or with others?
- How do others view your work?
- How do you deal with criticism?
- Do you consider yourself to be someone who takes greater initiative than others?
- Do you consider yourself a risk-taker?
- Are you a good time manager?
- How important is job security?
- How do you define success?
- How do you spend your leisure time?
- What would be the perfect job for you?
- What really motivates you to perform on the job?
- How well do you work with clients?
- How do you deal with competing demands?
- Have you ever had to lie for someone on the job?
- Have you ever wanted to quit a job?
- Have you ever wanted to fire your boss?
SOURCE: Adapted from Caryl and Ron Krannich, Ph.Ds, Job Interview Tips for People With Not-So-Hot Backgrounds (Impact Publications, Manassas Park, VA), pp. 87-88. Copyright 2004. All rights reserved.